County of Marin Health and Human Services

Immunization Program

New Information For Health Care Providers

Licensed physicians (M.D. or D.O.) may grant a medical exemption (ME) to immunizations required for school and child care by providing a letter with required documentation to a child's parent or guardian. Students who are immune to a disease by history of disease or titer and therefore do not need to be vaccinated should have a medical exemption.

Parents - Not Sure Which Immunizations Are Needed?

Find out which vaccines the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends:

For Infants and Children (Birth through 6 years) | Para ninos, desde el nacimiento hasta los 6 anos de edad

For Preteens and Teens (7-18 years) | Para los ninos de los 7 anos hasta los 18 anos de edad

For Adults | Vacunas para adultos

There are also specific recommendations for travelers, college students, health care workers, or other groups of people.

Where to Get Vaccinated

The best place to get immunizations is at your doctor's office or regular clinic. We offer vaccinations at the Marin HHS Immunization Clinic, or view this list of Where to Get Vaccinated in Marin County or use the Vaccine Finder.

Watch our video to learn how vaccines protect ourselves, our families, and our community.

Vaccines have literally transformed the landscape of medicine over the course of the 20th century. Before vaccines, parents in the United States could expect that every year:

Visit the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) for more information on childhood vaccines.

  • Polio would paralyze 10,000 children.
  • Rubella (German measles) would cause birth defects and mental retardation in as many as 20,000 newborns.
  • Measles would infect about 4 million children, killing about 500.
  • Diphtheria would be one of the most common causes of death in school-aged children.
  • A bacterium called Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) would cause meningitis in 15,000 children, leaving many with permanent brain damage.
  • Pertussis (whooping cough) would kill thousands of infants.
  • Vaccines have reduced and, in some cases, eliminated many diseases that killed or severely disabled people just a few generations before. For most Americans today, vaccines are a routine part of healthcare.

View stories of people who have been impacted by vaccine-preventable diseases at

Child Care Facility and School Immunization Requirements

Under the California School Immunization Law (California Health and Safety Code, Sections 120325-120375), children are required to receive certain immunizations in order to attend public and private elementary and secondary schools, child care centers, family day care homes, nursery schools, day nurseries and developmental centers. This law also requires schools, child care centers, and family child care homes to enforce immunization requirements, maintain immunization records of all children enrolled, and submit reports to the local health department.

Schools with low vaccination rates are at increased risk for outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases. How well-vaccinated is your child's child care? Kindergarten? 7th Grade?

Child Care or Preschool Requirements

School Requirements

7th Grade Specific Requirements

In limited circumstances, a child may attend child care or school while they catch up on immunizations. For more information, please visit

Need more "Blue Cards" (California School Immunization Records)? Please call 415-473-3078 or email More tools for schools and child cares may be found below.

Required Immunizations for Child Care Staff & Volunteers

A new law, SB 792, requires certain immunizations for child care employees and volunteers. This law goes into effect September 1, 2016. More information will be posted here and on when available. Click here to read the text of the law.

Tools for Health Care Providers

Immunization Schedules

Required Immunizations for School and Child Care

Some, but not all ACIP recommended childhood vaccines are required by California law for school and child care.

Licensed physicians may grant a medical exemption (ME) by providing a letter with required documentation to a child's parent or guardian. Students who are immune to a disease by history of disease or titer and therefore do not need to be vaccinated should have a medical exemption.

Immunization Resources for Providers

Please report vaccine-related adverse events to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), and vaccine errors to the National Vaccine Errors Reporting Program (VERP).

Please report incidences and outbreaks of communicable diseases to the Marin County Communicable Disease Prevention and Control Unit.

Tools for Schools and Child Care Facilities

California Immunization Handbook, Child Care and School Immunization Requirements, March 2016 ("The Blue Book")

Sample Letters

Immunization Law and Exemptions

Conditional Admission

Annual Fall Immunization Assessment Report For Child Care, TK/K, and 7th Grade

Tools for Translating Foreign Vaccine Records